When searching for a new job, everyone will offer their opinion on what you should do. The only opinion that matters is yours.
- Pinpoint the decision that needs to be made. Make a list of what your ideal situation would be.
- Try to get as much information as possible and be sure it is reliable.
- Ask for suggestions and advice. You don’t have to follow it, but you may discover some valuable tips along the way.
- Make a list of the pros and cons of the job – see which one tips the scale.
- Ask yourself what would be the best and worst – case scenario of this decision.
- Determine the value of each of the previous six steps and their consequences. List the pros and cons of each one; then compare them all to find the best solution in its proper perspective. If you make this decision, where will you be six months from now? In a year? In five years?
- Trust your intuition. Learn to trust your deeper instincts instead of following your immediate impulse.
- Recognize and honor mistakes throughout the process and use them to improve your decision-making skills the next time.